Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

On 01/28/2010 03:14 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
Kazuhiro Fujieda:
Andy Koppe:
Another example is X11, which has its own locale system independent
from Cygwin's. There, "ja_JP" implies eucJP already. This means that
with LANG=ja_JP, xterm uses eucJP, while filenames and programs
currently use the system's ANSI codepage, i.e. CP932 on Japanese
systems. Result: mojibake. It does work correctly with
LANG=ja_JP.SJIS.

You should set an appropriate alias in locale.aliases.

When the i18n framework in X11 was implemented, The default
character encoding in the Japanese locale wasn't necessarily
EUC-JP. I remember there was a conditional macro in the source
of locale.aliases to adjust it about 20 years ago.

The default encoding in the X11 locale should be adjusted to
the system locale.

That would break things for anyone depending on "ja_JP" meaning "eucJP" in X. And CygwinX's locale system has been around for years rather than weeks.

Furthermore, there'll be plenty of other programs and people that
expect "ja_JP" to mean "eucJP", since that's what they get on Linux
and elsewhere. Cygwin's primary aim is Linux compatibility, and
Windows interoperability is well-served with "ja_JP.SJIS".

Anybody have a tea pot? I see a tempest brewing over here and thought we should have a good place to keep it. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746