Re: Cygwin 1.7.1 breaks git on netapp shared drives

On Jan 27 20:33, Steve Bray wrote:
>  This looks similar to the December 16 thread "Cygwin 1.7 beta breaks
>  git on Windows shares"
>  and may be related to the thread "chmod and DOS vs POSIX paths".
>  [...]
>  With Cygwin 1.71, chmod fails.  For some reason "ls -l" shows no
>  permissions.  I can create, read, write, and remove files.

There's only one reason for chmod to fail.  Apparently your netapp drive
reports to have persistent ACLs but then returns an error when trying to
set an ACL.  It's incredible how many broken filesystems are out in the
wild.

Please run the /usr/share/csih/getVolInfo tool on the drive and
pate the output into your reply.

Did you try to strace chmod to see what happens?

Last but not least, did you try to mount the drive with the noacl
option?http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Corinna

git, ls, and chmod are functional after mounting with the noacl option and git correctly sets the R/O bit.

My perspective:

The permissions on the shared drive are not consistent with POSIX but appear to be the correct permissions to control a Windows shared drive.

My observation of managed Windows shared drives:

- Users have access as members of a group.
- This group does NOT have NTFS "Change Permission" so users can NOT change ACEs.
- The Windows cacls will fail to make changes.
- Cygwin 1.7 chmod will fail and git will fail (unless explicitly mounted as noacl).
- Cygwin 1.5 chmod and git did not fail. It may have ignored the ACEs and assumed FAT/FAT32.

I would not characterize this as a broken filesystem:

- Organizations often have many shared drives and each is restricted to a controlled group of users.
- Access would not be controlled if any user in the group could change the ACEs.

This may be a typical Windows shared drive but is not a typical POSIX filesystem:

- Unlike POSIX, a user of this Windows shared drive can NOT change permissions on the files created and owned.

So I can proceed by explicitly mounting shared drives with the noacl option.

However, since acl is the default and these are common permissions on a shared drive, I suspect that I and others will continue to have commands fail.

I hesitate to propose more complication, but could it automatically revert to noacl (FAT/FAT32) and ignore ACEs when the user has no permission to change them?

Much thanks. We now have a way to use Cygwin 1.7.

Steve