Re[2]: setup.exe messing with file permissions on downloads folder

Здравствуйте, Уважаемый(-ая, -ое) Corinna Vinschen!

>> I have cygwin storage directory on network share, and it was not an issue for
>> a years.
>> Today, when I attempted an update, it warned me that next major release is
>> pushed and I probably want to review changes. I did that, haven't spotted
>> anything potentially destructive, and ... tried to... proceed with upgrade.
>> It ended rather quickly, when setup.exe was started creating directories it
>> was unable to write to.
>> Default permissions on disk, where network share located) is set to
>> SYSTEM = full
>> Administrators = full
>> Everyone = R&X
>> Owner = Administrators
>> All permissions is inherited from the drive root.
>> When I attempt to write files/create directories at that location by normal
>> means (Explorer, notepad etc.), it all works without an issue.
>> But cygwin setup... It trying to add local user SID to remote file
>> permissions... and add OWNER-related rights to it.

CV> That's basically correct.

That's basically NOT correct. It setting permissions on ARCHIVES, that are NOT
CYGWIN INSTALLATION? Can it just write files, please? I have sane enough
permissions on my DISTRIB folder to handle access to archives. Already.

CV> Setup sets the file permissions to POSIX permissions.
CV> Since your screenshot doesn't give enough information, I don't see why
CV> this fails for you.
CV> The entries look basically ok, except for the fact
CV> that the user SID isn't known for some reason.

For said reason. My local SID does not exist on remote machine, where archives
stored.

CV> Output of the Windows cacls command would have been more informative.

>> How it is supposed to work, anyway? I don't have Windows domain at home...

CV> Usually you don't have to.  Your user account is known to your
CV> own machine, so I don't understand why it doesn't show the correct
CV> user name.

Account, by name and password hash, yes. But local SID on my workstation and
SID for same named account on server is different.

CV> Maybe, what setup should do is either to leave permissions alone when
CV> downloading the package files, or the permissions for the package files
CV> and the package directories should always be set to 664, so that the
CV> group (usually Administrators) has always write permissions.

Leaving them alone. No two choices.
Setting to "Owner group" won't do anything - my local SID is not known on
server and not belong to any group.

--
С уважением

    Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@mtu-net.ru) пятница, 29.01.2010, <14:24>