Re: setup.exe messing with file permissions on downloads folder

On Jan 29 14:34, Andrey Repin wrote:
> CV> That's basically correct.
>
> That's basically NOT correct. It setting permissions on ARCHIVES, that are NOT
> CYGWIN INSTALLATION? Can it just write files, please? I have sane enough

No reason to shout.  I was talking about the permission settings.
They are correct from a POSIX perspective.  I'm aware what you
mean, that should have been clear from my reply.

> For said reason. My local SID does not exist on remote machine, where archives
> stored.

Which shouldn't matter.  The local machine fetches the SID from the ACL
and evaluates it locally.  Since it's your local account anyway it's
not clear why it doesn't resolve it.

> CV> Output of the Windows cacls command would have been more informative.
> [...]
> CV> Usually you don't have to.  Your user account is known to your
> CV> own machine, so I don't understand why it doesn't show the correct
> CV> user name.
>
> Account, by name and password hash, yes. But local SID on my workstation and
> SID for same named account on server is different.

See above.

> CV> Maybe, what setup should do is either to leave permissions alone when
> CV> downloading the package files, or the permissions for the package files
> CV> and the package directories should always be set to 664, so that the
> CV> group (usually Administrators) has always write permissions.
>
> Leaving them alone. No two choices.

I wasn't talking about two choices for the user, I was talking about two
choices to implement it.  However, setup.exe is not a simple beast and
personally I have other things on my plate right now.  But feel free to
send a patch.

Corinna

Red Hat