Re: Telnet connect to Cygwin gives no response

On 1/29/2010 8:48 AM, Marc Doesburg wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I hope I'm at the right place. I'm pretty new to Cygwin, so sorry in
> advance if this is a noob question.
>
> What I'm trying to do is the following:
>
> Connect using telnet to a local installed Cygwin. Then using the
> Cygwin to rlogin to a PBX system. The program we are using for the
> telnet session is ProComm Plus, which doesn't support rlogin and/or
> SSH. It only supports telnet or serial.
>
> So I was thinking to install Cygwin with a telnet daemon/service so I
> could connect to it using telnet and "pass-trough" using rlogin to the
> PBX system.
>
> The rlogin part is working great from the Cygwin window. The problem
> I’m facing is that I’m able to connect to Cygwin using telnet, but I’m
> not getting any response. I’m sure that I’m connected to Cygwin,
> because when I disable the “cygwin inetd” from the windows services
> the connection drops.
>
> I also tried this on a clean Windows 2003 server installation with the
> same results. Although I also tried it on a Windows 2003 machine, my
> machine is Windows Vista. I also tried to connect using putty and
> windows telnet. All have the same results. All are able to connect,
> but none are getting any response from Cygwin.
>
> I followed the installation/configuration instructions found in the
> inetutils-1.5.README document. I installed all the required runtime
> and build requirements, although most of them are newer versions. But
> that shouldn’t be I problem I guess. I'm using the latest (released
> today) setup/install of cygwin.
>
> But since I’m pretty new to cygwin it’s probably a “you need to enable
> this parameter” thingy…
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm a big fan of Cygwin and all, but it sounds like your direct problem
is ProComm Plus and its lack of rlogin support.  Since you are setting
up a Cygwin environment somewhere, are you allowed to try alternatives
to ProComm Plus such as PuTTY?  It's a great terminal program with
support for telnet, SSH, serial, and rlogin.

Of course, if you are allowed to use Cygwin at all, why not use it
directly which you say works for rlogin?

-Jeremy