Re[2]: setup.exe messing with file permissions on downloads folder

Здравствуйте, Уважаемый(-ая, -ое) Corinna Vinschen!

>> CV> That's basically correct.
>>
>> That's basically NOT correct. It setting permissions on ARCHIVES, that are NOT
>> CYGWIN INSTALLATION? Can it just write files, please? I have sane enough

CV> No reason to shout.  I was talking about the permission settings.
CV> They are correct from a POSIX perspective.  I'm aware what you
CV> mean, that should have been clear from my reply.

>> For said reason. My local SID does not exist on remote machine, where archives
>> stored.

CV> Which shouldn't matter.
Meh?

CV> The local machine fetches the SID from the ACL and evaluates it locally.

Since when? Filesystem level permissions is resolved on the server side.

CV> Since it's your local account anyway it's not clear why it doesn't resolve it.

Because it is server evaluating my rights to access files, not client machine
I'm running setup from.
When client create ridiculous permissions that deny it access to the files it
have created, server can't do more than it doing - deny access...

It is not just installation issue, as I though about it some more.
If you try to write to network share from Cygwin application, it could cause
same inaccessible mess, unless it is done in Windows domain environment, where
SID and GID matches to the user name exactly for every PC in the domain.

>> CV> Output of the Windows cacls command would have been more informative.
>> [...]
>> CV> Usually you don't have to.  Your user account is known to your
>> CV> own machine, so I don't understand why it doesn't show the correct
>> CV> user name.
>>
>> Account, by name and password hash, yes. But local SID on my workstation and
>> SID for same named account on server is different.

CV> See above.

Yet again. I'm running setup from PC2. Archive storage for Cygwin is located
on PC1.
My SID on PC2 is xxxxx-1004
Same named account on PC1 has SID yyyyy-1002
Not just sequential numbers is different - whole SID's different, as they
belong to different systems.
See the problem?

--
С уважением