Re: ssh + patch + $TMP

On Feb 18 15:39, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I ran across an interesting "feature" of remote access today. I was
> ssh'ed in to my cygwin computer, under my normal windows/cygwin account
> name, and tried to run 'patch':
>
> $ patch -p1 -R --dry-run < ../some-patch.patch
> patch: **** Can't create file
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/poFOD7WH : Not a directory
>
> $ echo $TMP
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp
>
> $ echo $TEMP
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp
>
> $ echo $TMPDIR
>

> Obviously, my regular user doesn't have access to cyg_server's AppData
> directory. This is easily fixed, of course, by setting $TMP=/tmp (or
> /c/Users/<me>/AppData/Local/Temp, if you like).  The question is, should
> this be something that is done by default in /etc/profile (e.g. part of
> the base-files package)?

In contrast to other systems, sshd for Cygwin preserves a couple of
environment variables from the parent sshd process running under the
cyg_server account.  The list of preserved variables is:

  ALLUSERSPROFILE
  COMMONPROGRAMFILES
  COMPUTERNAME
  COMSPEC
  CYGWIN
  NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
  OS
  PATH
  PATHEXT
  PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
  PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
  PROCESSOR_LEVEL
  PROCESSOR_REVISION
  PROGRAMFILES
  SYSTEMDRIVE
  SYSTEMROOT
  TMP
  TEMP
  WINDIR

Is it time to reduce this list?  Should sshd remove TMP and TEMP?
Anything else?

Corinna

Red Hat