This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: terminfo [Re: console enhancements: mouse events etc]
- From: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:05:38 -0500
- Subject: Re: terminfo [Re: console enhancements: mouse events etc]
- References: <4B266F9B.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20091214171323.GS8059@calimero.vinschen.de> <20091215130036.GA19394@calimero.vinschen.de> <4B28ACE8.email@example.com> <20091216145627.GM8059@calimero.vinschen.de> <4B29934A.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4B2C0715.email@example.com> <20091221101216.GA5632@calimero.vinschen.de> <20100125190806.GA9166@calimero.vinschen.de> <4B5F0585.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20100126161036.GA31281@calimero.vinschen.de> <4B718CB8.email@example.com> <4B72083C.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4B83A73C.email@example.com> <4B847943.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4B854C3C.email@example.com>
Thomas Wolff wrote:
> However, I already sent a bug report to
> firstname.lastname@example.org some months ago and there doesn't seem to
> be anyone behind that mail address who would even care to respond...
Well, lkml is a mailing list. Like any other high-volume list, you've
got to keep at it -- repost the patch, ping it a few times, etc.
> so I had just hoped to get this upstream this way. Anyway, my updated
> patch (attached) is now without the linux detail.
>> BTW, does this "fix" 'pstree -G'?
> Unfortunately not. I checked pstree and it is obviously quite buggy
> about terminal handling.
Yep. It assumes that "well, duh, everybody supports vt100!" and then
tries to access vt100 mode incorrectly. Nice.
> I also checked the source and it does the wrong
I looked at it some time ago, thinking to patch it "correctly" so that
it would use terminfo, check capabilities, etc.
Too ugly for words.
> There are different methods to embed VT100 graphics codes, for short let
> me call them G1 and G0. What pstree sends is:
> G0-on G1-off code G0-off
> Obviously terminals handle this differently. xterm and mintty seem to
> still apply VT100 graphics within G0-on...G0-off despite the stray G1-off,
> while my cygwin console patch doesn't, it just switches it off when it's
> told "off" by one method and I thought that would be OK.
> So there is two options:
> - I could amend my patch with a workaround
Maybe; I'm not sure what TRTTD is. Up to you.
> - I/We could get pstree fixed, probably upstream?
I think this is more reasonable; it's probably a very simple patch since
you wouldn't be trying to do a full-monty rework all of pstree's term
handling. You'd just be changing one or two sequences.
Corinna is listed as the psmisc package maintainer; I'm sure PTC.
>> I'll adapt and release an update relatively soon. ...
>> I'm guessing that these terminfo changes need to wait until 1.7.2, right?
> Yes, please.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple