Setup fails with 1.7 upgrade attempt -- CLOSING OUT.

> I can find no direct information on this problem anywhere, so now
> I'm writing you.  My computer is an Intel Pentium(R) 4, 3.4 Ghz and
> 1GB RAM.  The OS is MS Windows XP 2002, SP2.  I've been happily
> running Cygwin for 8 years, and it looks like it's time to upgrade
> to Cygwin 1.7.

> I suddenly cannot run Cygwin setup.exe.  ... etc.

To all who commented on this, thanks, and I appreciate the quick
stand down on this question until I can figure out what is going on at
my site.  I have noticed several anomalies in addition to this one --
nothing to do with Cygwin -- that also indicate some local problem.

Charles Hethcoat