Re: troubles with sshd and Microsoft devenv's .rsp files

On 3/26/2010 10:31 PM, Alec Kloss wrote:
On 2010-03-26 19:31, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 3/26/2010 6:53 PM, Alec Kloss wrote:
I'm using a fresh installation of cygwin 1.7.2 on a fresh install
of Windows Server 2003.

I'm having an issue where the temporary .rsp files created by
devenv.exe are created without read permission.  This causes the

[chop]

Sounds like the same old problem that kept VS from running correctly in
a ssh session.  I don't recall allot of the details but at least some
of the problem was caused by VS thinking it was running as the service
provider instead of your user.  If that's the problem here, you should
try using password authentication or look at one of the latter two
options detailed here:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>

You can check the email archives for more details on VS misbehaving
under ssh.

Logging in using a password rather than SSH key authentication works, and running /usr/bin/cyglsa-config (and rebooting) also works. Thanks very much Larry.

You're welcome.

I did look through the archive and general Internet search results
without much success today;  perhaps a faq entry somewhere would be
helpful, or perhaps these posts will serve as a warning to others?

Yeah, it's not always easy to find what you're looking for in the archives. But yes, this posting should help.

And why is cyglsa-config not recommended by default?

I do, every chance I get. ;-) But it's a fair question. There is a bit of extra work when upgrading if you're using cyglsa but overall, I think the benefits outweigh this detriment.

Holliston, MA 01746