Installing mintty in a restricted environment

Today I tried to install cygwin on a work machine that I do not have
permission to admin.

I'm a Math Prof here so I just get to use the machine on my desk.

on my laptop I am the admin so I installed cygwin for all users.  No
biggie, only user is me.

I use mintty on the advice of some folks on this list and I like it.
When I installed cygwin 1.7.2 on my work box I naturally installed mintty

I had to check the box on setup that said I was installing for just me
so that setup wouldnt try to install shortcuts in ALL USERS which it
does not have the right to do.

mintty did not self-setup correctly under this scenario.

I did not get a mintty icon on my desktop likely because mintty did
not respect my choice of ALL USERS or "just me" in setup.exe

when I tried to launch mintty from the bin directory it did launch but
it did not read the config files.

the prompt is litterally the "bash" prompt with the version number
instead of the hostname.

and the path isnt set so it cant find any of the commands including
the basic ones like ls, grep, sed, etc.

What do I need to do in order to get mintty to behave correctly?

the cygwin termimal screen works correctly, ls returns the list, and
the prompt is the hostname.

I uninstalled mintty and reinstalled it with no changes, so there is
something else going on, but I dont know what it is, and because I
dont have admin privs on this machine, there is likely no way to
troubleshoot it.