Re: Installing mintty in a restricted environment

On 3/31/2010 12:13 PM, Rance Hall wrote:
> Today I tried to install cygwin on a work machine that I do not have
> permission to admin.
>
> I'm a Math Prof here so I just get to use the machine on my desk.
>
> on my laptop I am the admin so I installed cygwin for all users.  No
> biggie, only user is me.
>
> I use mintty on the advice of some folks on this list and I like it.
> When I installed cygwin 1.7.2 on my work box I naturally installed mintty
>
> I had to check the box on setup that said I was installing for just me
> so that setup wouldnt try to install shortcuts in ALL USERS which it
> does not have the right to do.
>
> mintty did not self-setup correctly under this scenario.
>
> I did not get a mintty icon on my desktop likely because mintty did
> not respect my choice of ALL USERS or "just me" in setup.exe
>
> when I tried to launch mintty from the bin directory it did launch but
> it did not read the config files.
>
> the prompt is litterally the "bash" prompt with the version number
> instead of the hostname.
>
> and the path isnt set so it cant find any of the commands including
> the basic ones like ls, grep, sed, etc.
>
> What do I need to do in order to get mintty to behave correctly?
>
> the cygwin termimal screen works correctly, ls returns the list, and
> the prompt is the hostname.
>
> I uninstalled mintty and reinstalled it with no changes, so there is
> something else going on, but I dont know what it is, and because I
> dont have admin privs on this machine, there is likely no way to
> troubleshoot it.

While waiting for a fix, create your own shortcut for Mintty.  Assuming
C:\cygwin is where you installed Cygwin, set the Target: field to
"C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -" without the quotes and the Start in: field
to C:\cygwin\bin.  Adjust as necessary to point to wherever you actually
installed Cygwin.

-Jeremy