Re: chmod fails for MS-DOS style path in cygwin 1.7.2-2

On 04/01/2010 07:21 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 02:09:29PM +0530, prakash babu wrote:
I am using cygwin 1.7.2-2 and chmod fails for MS-DOS style path with the following error message.

eg: chmod 755 C:\\FileName

cygwin warning: MS-DOS style path detected: C:\FileName
Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/FileName
CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

This used to work in cygwin 1.5 .

Is there any workaround available for this currently ?

Is this a bug in 1.7 which will be fixed in the upcoming versions ?

How could a specific error message, which tells you how to turn it off, be construed as a bug?
Maybe a bug as in "this bothers me". Sorta like the feeling I get when I hear, IMHO, the stupid message "It is not necessary to dial a 1 when calling this number". My thoughts tend to run "If you know the problem - and have the solution - why the #$&* are you telling me?!?". To me a better wording of that message would be "Did you know you do not need to dial a 1 when calling this number", but that does leave a question of "well exactly which (US) numbers do I need the 1 for and which don't I? How do I tell?"

I understand this is a warning message and I can easily turn it off, etc. I'm just saying...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Advice - Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your forehead.