Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.7.3-1

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:02:44AM -0500, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>People doing one or more of the above should hopefully be technical
>enough to understand the dangers and devise workarounds though.

I think humor really belongs on the cygwin-talk mailing list.

>To be honest, I'm not sure what can be gained from such gross
>identification of operating environments as would be provided by a
>potential /etc/cygwin-release file.  The most accurate way to check for
>functionality is to specifically test for it, a la autoconf.  Failing
>that, checking for specific package versions is pretty good depending on
>your needs.  I think you're asking for trouble if you try to get more
>general than that.

...but, seriously, thanks for the suggestion but it's hard to see how
the amount of work involved in implementing something like this would
justify the limited functionality of the feature.  Especially given the
pitfalls that you elucidated (and there are more than just those).

cgf