Re: git on cygwin 1.7.2/1.7.4

Am 08.04.2010, 08:11 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:43:08PM -0400, Mark Levedahl wrote:
On 03/31/2010 09:36 PM, Mark Levedahl wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 08:08:37PM -0400, Mark Levedahl wrote:
All of the above connections and i/o processing are done using
bog-standard fork, pipe, open, read, write, and associated file
commands. Git has no trouble opening all of the processes and pipes
under Cygwin 1.7.2. However, in general before the data transfer is
complete the demux process issues an error upon getting an incomplete
packet (fewer bytes transmitted than declared in the header), and
debugging shows the error code of the read() is ENOENT, indicating the
pipe or socket has been terminated early. The index-pack process also
issues an error due to receipt of an incomplete pack.
Given the above, it seems logical the problem is with pipes, and as
1.7.4-1 is has fixes for pipes I tried it out and found a significant
improvement: using 1.7.2-1 I got 16 failures out of 20 attempts to clone
a 17 MByte repo on localhost, using 1.7.4-1 this is down to 3 failures
out of 20 attempts. (1.7.3-1 was not an improvement).

And, yet, there were no fixes for pipes in 1.7.4.

Not to suggest anything particular to Mark, but rather as a general comment: I wonder how many of the "1.7.X no better" can be attributed to the replace-on-reboot failure up to and including setup 2.693. If people rely on that rather than running "uname -a" or similar, those that were told to reboot may be unaware they're using the older version.

--
Matthias Andree