Re: "Error opening terminal: cygwin." when attempting to start lynx

Greetings, Ken Brown!

>>> Though it's apparent that I've just launched lynx as normal application, as
>>> I've always did in the past.
>>> TERM show nothing, this variable is undefined in common Windows environment.
>>>
>>> May I ask you what cygcheck mean when listing Far FTP plugin host definitions?
>>> I've left it included, as it contains no private data, but it shouldn't be there.
>>
>> cygcheck did not list your installed packages for some reason which sounds like
>> you may have more than one cygwin1.dll on your system.

Not possible. Same DLL in multiple places (due to different mount points) -
possible, but certainly not different versions of DLL's.

[C:\]$C:\bin\which.exe -a cygwin1.dll
/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

[C:\]$which cygwin1.dll
cygwin1.dll is an external : C:\bin\cygwin1.dll

[C:\]$mount
C:/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
R: on /cygdrive/r type iso9660 (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

[C:\]$

See? 4NT and cygwin both see only one DLL.

>> For sure it is obvious that your PATH isn't right.
>> Cygwin's directories should always come first.
>> So maybe you aren't running a cygwin versin of lynx but are, instead, running something
>> which does not understand the cygwin TERM type.

> The cygcheck output also shows two Cygwin installations, one contained
> in the other.  That seems risky.

It's just a consequence, there's in fact just one installation.

But I've tried to move Cygwin folders earlier in Path...

[C:\]$set PATH && lynx
C:/bin;C:/usr/sbin;C:\WINDOWS/system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS/System32/Wbem;C:/usr/4nt;C:/usr/Delphi/vbroker/bin;C:/usr/Delphi7/Bin
;C:/usr/Delphi7/Projects/Bpl;C:/usr/sbin/svn-win32/bin;C:/PROGRA~1/WINRAR;C:/usr/ARH/7ZIP;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin;C:/usr/ut
il;C:/DRWEB;C:/USR/BP/BIN;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/DOOM;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/UTIL;C:/usr/ARH;C:/USR/VP21/BIN.W32
Error opening terminal: cygwin.

[C:\]$

And the same when trying to start it from bash command prompt:

bash-3.2$ lynx
Error opening terminal: cygwin.
bash-3.2$

Meh... Any good idea what to delete in attempt to fix this?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...