Re: timezone setting ?

Nellis, Kenneth wrote:

> You can set the time zone by setting environment variable
> TZ to a file path relative to /usr/share/zoneinfo, e.g.,
>
> export TZ=America/New_York
>
> I'm less clear on how it determines the time zone
> when TZ is not set. My guess is that TZ=posixrules
> is the default. Corrections are encouraged.

Well, around 5 years ago I looked into this, as I found that the
default timzone names used on UK installations were wrong.  Here's
what I posted back then:

Since then the zoneinfo implementation has been added, but it appears
that if you don't explicitly set TZ the default is still taken from
your Windows timezone setting, so I still get GMTST and GMTDT, which
are somewhat unconventional and confusing for UK users.  Needless to
say, a UK Linux installation correctly defaults to GMT and BST.

I suppose setup.exe could be trained to convert the windows timezone
into a sensible global TZ setting - or possibly it could just present
the timezone list for a manual choice, as most attended Linux installs
do.

-- Cliff