Different user environment for key vs password authentication

Hi,
We are having problems doing registry updates and installing software via ssh using key authentication but it works using password authentication. ? We noticed that some of the environment variables have different values depending on the authentication type, for example TMP, TEMP, USERNAME. ?With key authentication, these values are for the user that the sshd service is running as. ?With password authentication, these values are for the user that is connecting as.
Can someone explain in a bit of detail what happens at login for key and password authentication? ?It seems we need to get the same environment loaded for password authentication to load for key authentication so we are trying to figure out how to make this happen by understanding what is actually happening. ?
Turning on debug for our ssh server did not yield any useful information. ?And sorry but right now I don't have access to the server so I'm hoping that someone can give insight into how the different authentication load their respective environments without needing more detail. ?I can say that the privilege separation is turned on.
Thanks,Jaynna Sims