Re: C: vs /cygdrive/c and git

On 6/3/2010 4:39 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 06/03/2010 02:32 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

In that case, git is just blindly treating c: as ./c: - that is, the
relative file named "c:" in the current directory.  Since POSIX allows
this interpretation, there's no reason for git to special case it and
try otherwise.

I am still not convinced....

It seems that if I try git clone c:/foobar

If there is a c:/foobar then it does current_dir/c:/foobar. However, if c:/foobar does not exist, it then treats c as a machine name.

$ git clone c:/foobar a
Initialized empty Git repository in /cygdrive/c/Users/hoffman/Work/My Builds/CMake-gmake/a/.git/
ssh: Could not resolve hostname c: hostname nor servname provided, or not known

$ mkdir c:/foobar

$ git clone c:/foobar a
Initialized empty Git repository in /cygdrive/c/Users/hoffman/Work/My Builds/CMake-gmake/a/.git/
fatal: failed to open '/cygdrive/c/Users/hoffman/Work/My Builds/CMake-gmake/c:/foobar/objects': No such file or directory

So, it is not just assuming that c:/foobar is a file named "c:" because it must find that c:/foobar exists on the disk before it tries to append it to the current directory. If c:/foobar does not exist, then git tries a remote machine named c.

Again, I don't think this is git specific, but I would like to understand at what level of cygwin this is coming from.

Thanks.

-Bill