Re: Cygwin window closes by itself -- And, a strange workaround

On 6/3/2010 8:34 PM, surendar jeyadev wrote:

I have been using Cygwin for about 5 years on the same computer, without
a problem (but for a strange change in bash history behaviour about a few
months back -- more on that later, or in a separate thread). Suddenly,
today, something strange has started to happen. When I double click on
the Cygwin icon, a window opens (as usual), but it remains blank for about
10 seconds, after which is closes.

I have searched the archives and found a similar incident reported in Sep
2007, but no particular remedy was given. Also, I have found a very
strange workaround.

I am running

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 visuma 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-05-26 20:37 i686 Cygwin

1.5.25 is no longer supported. The current version is 1.7.5.

on a XP machine with SP3. The output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r' is
attached to this note.

I tried to invoke cygwin.bat from a command window as suggested in
the 2007 replies to the query. The batch file runs and the prompt
changes to the cygwin bin directory. There are no error messages.

C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat

C:\cygwin\bin>

This is as expected as the contents of the batch file are just

@echo off

          C:
          chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

But, there is no window opened when I invoke cygwin.bat from the
command line (hint?).

Nope. That's as expected. What didn't happen is 'bash' didn't start. I don't know why either, though if there's nothing new in your Cygwin environment, then I might suspect ZoneAlarm. Try removing it and see if it helps.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746