Re: Cygwin Performance and stat()

> [quit top-posting]

Now you are my mom too?

> That's where you're wrong.  Any patch you write that is technically
> sound and shows a measurable improvement will most likely be accepted.

Then you shouldn't have Cygwin's front line technical spokesman saying
things such as:

"If there was a way to make stat() faster why wouldn't it be in the source
code already?"

"Otherwise, I doubt that anyone outside of the cygwin developers
understands the stat() code well enough to come up with a patch."

"But providing a variant of stat()
along the lines of what you propose above is not practical for all the
reasons already stated."

"I guess it's possible that someone just doesn't want to go through the
pain of getting the patch accepted.  In that case, everyone enjoy your
private cygwin stat() patches."

------------

When I threw the idea out initially I asked for input from the people that
have more experience in Cygwin than I do.  I have been seeing these
performance issues for years of using Cygwin.  However, in the past week
had some time to look at it.

FWIW, because of the initial resistance I have been shown by the "front
line developers."  I have already contemplated of my own Cygwin branch.

All that being said, I think the best solution is not to optimize the dll
stat(), but to do it at the executable level.  I see that Cygwin already
has some level of patches at this level, it shouldn't be too difficult to
support.

Chris