Re: Cygwin Performance and stat()

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:37:01PM -0700, Christopher Wingert wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 03:16:43PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>>On 06/04/2010 03:14 PM, Christopher Wingert wrote:
>>>Agreed, I would like to make a global change, however, unless I can
>>>talk to the current maintainer of the fhandler* functions, it seems
>>>illogical for me to change them (as I have about a week of cygwin dll
>>>experience).
>>
>>You ARE talking to the maintainer of the fhandler* functions - cgf
>>knows what he's talking about, since he wrote the bulk of them.

>He is?  Holy crap, he is more helpful with his sarcasm and doubt than
>anything else.

Can't really parse that sentence.

>However, it does explains his tone, given that I am picking on his
>code.

I haven't detected any "picking on" but then I can't claim to have
written the fhandler* code anymore Corinna has rewritten most of it.  I
do know that if you want to be taken seriously you really need to send a
concrete suggestion/patch.

So far what I think I've seen is that you think caching will work
but haven't provided an explanation of how.

You've demonstrated that if you use less function calls than Cygwin
does to fill in less information than Cygwin's stat() you can make
something faster (which is what we already know git does).

And, you've said this:

"All that being said, I think the best solution is not to optimize the dll
stat(), but to do it at the executable level.  I see that Cygwin already
has some level of patches at this level, it shouldn't be too difficult to
support."

Unfortunately, I can't parse that either.

If you are not going to provide a patch, it would help if you would at
least provide specific information like filename and function and maybe
even a little pseudo-code to illustrate what you're talking about.

So far, it seems to me that you're basically thinking out loud and
expecting us to fill in the blanks.  That's not an effective way to
getting anything changed.

cgf