Re: Cygwin Performance and stat()

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 12:12:36AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>Meaning that: even if I'm only a Cygwin user, and I'm sometimes
>disappointed by how slow it is, too, I'm sort of convinced there isn't a
>cheaper way to get all the required information.

I'm disappointed in Cygwin's slowness too.  Corinna and I have spent
many hours pouring over MSDN, internals books, and internals web sites.
I've spent time looking at ReactOS sources trying to see if they would
provide any insight into how Windows does things.

It's possible, maybe even likely, that there are things that could be
done to speed up Cygwin but I don't think it's likely that they include
using simple Windows API stuff like the suggested GetFileAttributes() or
limiting Cygwin's POSIXness.  And, if speed ups do exist, they
definitely do not require a private audience with me or Corinna.

The best place to discuss improvements is actually the cygwin-developers
mailing list.  And, as I said, if you do have a patch to propose, it
would pay to start early on getting the paperwork done.

cgf