ssh setup fails on cygwin

I know that cygwin 1.5 is no longer supported but since my application requires ssh to be setup and  extensively uses chmod on MS-DOS paths I want atleast the the cygwin 1.5 install and ssh setup done successfully.

Hence I installed cygwin 1.5 on three windows XP machines using setup-legacy.exe

First Machine(Working)
=======================

i. Cygwin install was successful.
ii. All binaries installed in C:\cygwin\bin
iii. Cygwin.bat working fine
iv. When I invoke C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe and run echo $SHELL it displays /bin/bash
v. ssh-host-config works fine and sshd daemon starts successfully

Second and Third Machine(not working)
===================================
i. Cygwin install was successful
ii. All binaries except ash.exe and cygrunsrv.exe got installed in C:\cygwin\usr\bin instead of C:\cygwin\bin
(ash.exe and cygrunsrv.exe got installed in C:\cygwin\bin ).
iv. Cygwin.bat execution fails(exits on invocation)
v. When I invoke C:\cygwin\usr\bin\bash.exe and run echo $SHELL it displays /bin/sh
vi. ssh-host-config fails with error "bash: ./ssh-host-config: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: No such file or directory"

Why is this inconsistent behaviour.
i. How do I go about debugging this issue and setup ssh(any logs to look into). Could this be a mounting issue
ii. Can this behaviour be because of the mirror site chosen.
iii. Can this behaviour be because of the OS flavour, patches or the softwares installed in the OS
iv. Why does echo $SHELL on a bash shell  display /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash.

thanks in advance,
Prakash