Re: 'cp' utility bug when <dest-name>.exe file exist.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 05:40, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:38:30AM +0100, Julio Costa wrote:
>>And this is where my head got reeeally spinning... can anyone, please,
>>explain the reason to why this .exe magic exists, anyway?
>
> It's already been explained in this very thread.

I'm must be getting pretty dense.
The only explanation I already had seen was from Eric Blake:
"(...) but Windows insists on having the .exe suffix for cmd to be
able to run an executable (...)"

That was already been explained, in other occasions, and also in the
thread indicated by myself.
The point is, that *is not* a reason, because it is easily fixed by
"set PATHEXE=%PATHEXE%:.".

Demo:
= - = - = - = - = - = -

D:\ETC\Tools>ren C:\cygwin\bin\base64.exe C:\cygwin\bin\base64

D:\ETC\Tools>set pathext
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

D:\ETC\Tools>base64 --help
'base64' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

D:\ETC\Tools>set pathext=%pathext%;.

D:\ETC\Tools>base64 --help
Usage: base64 [OPTION]... [FILE]
Base64 encode or decode FILE, or standard input, to standard output.

  -w, --wrap=COLS       Wrap encoded lines after COLS character (default 76).
                        Use 0 to disable line wrapping.

  -d, --decode          Decode data.
  -i, --ignore-garbage  When decoding, ignore non-alphabet characters.

      --help            Display this help and exit.
      --version         Output version information and exit.

With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

The data are encoded as described for the base64 alphabet in RFC 3548.
When decoding, the input may contain newlines in addition to the bytes of
the formal base64 alphabet.  Use --ignore-garbage to attempt to recover
from any other non-alphabet bytes in the encoded stream.

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>.

We can argue about the most effective way of making that environment
change permanent (possibly done by setup.exe itself), but failing that
explanation, I don't see other reasons. That was the objective of my
question:
Are there other reasons to maintain the .exe magic?