Re: ssh setup fails on cygwin

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:36, prakash babu wrote:
> I know that cygwin 1.5 is no longer supported but since my application requires ssh to be setup and Âextensively uses chmod on MS-DOS paths I want atleast the the cygwin 1.5 install and ssh setup done successfully.

Why don't you use the cygpath utility, like was already proposed to you?

> Hence I installed cygwin 1.5 on three windows XP machines using setup-legacy.exe

(...)

> Why is this inconsistent behaviour.
> i. How do I go about debugging this issue and setup ssh(any logs to look into). Could this be a mounting issue

That is, at least, a mounting issue. The quick, dirty, fix is to copy
all executables from /usr/bin to /bin
Personally I wouldn't spend more time in a 1.5 installation than that
needed to 'quick, dirty, fixes' :)

> ii. Can this behaviour be because of the mirror site chosen.

not probable

> iii. Can this behaviour be because of the OS flavour, patches or the softwares installed in the OS

Not this behaviour directly, but maybe the failure to achieve a
correct installation could be explained by BLODA (see
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda)

> iv. Why does echo $SHELL on a bash shell Âdisplay /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash.

because it din't found /bin/bash (it was in /usr/bin/bash), and for
some strange reason, /bin/sh could be installed correctly, while
/bin/bash did not (or the other way around).

As from package, both are installed in /usr/bin, but if the
installation is working properly, they should have appeared in /bin,
through mounting.