Re: 'cp' utility bug when <dest-name>.exe file exist.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:39, Andy Koppe wrote:

> As far as I understand it, the original reason for it was that Windows
> 9x always required it. Of course Cygwin 1.7 no longer supports 9x, so
> from that perspective, it's no longer needed.

That's how I see it too.

>>> [Running in cmd.exe]
>> The point is, that *is not* a reason, because it is easily fixed by
>> "set PATHEXE=%PATHEXE%:.".
>
> That's a nice one. I certainly didn't know about that.
>
> Explorer still needs the .exe though.

Nope also.
Try this at a cmd.exe:

D:\ETC\Tools>assoc .=MyDefaultLauncher
.=MyDefaultLauncher

D:\ETC\Tools>ftype MyDefaultLauncher=%COMSPEC% /C "%1"
MyDefaultLauncher=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C "%1"

D:\ETC\Tools>regtool set "/user/Software/Microsoft/Command
Processor/AutoRun" 'set PATHEXT=%PATHEXT%;.'

Now, try this in a Windows explorer: rename joe.exe (or vi.exe, or
whatever...) to remove the extension.
Now double-click it, and "voilÃ".

DISCLAIMER: This is only a proof-of-concept. There are clearly some
rough edges to remove, but this should give you the general idea...

> More importantly, a lot of build scripts likely depend on the .exe being added automatically.

Hm. Maybe they shouldn't.
After all, the .exe magic has been around also so that kind of scripts
DIDN'T needed that kind of expectations :)

> The frequent questions and problems around this issue do make me
> wonder though whether it wouldn't indeed be better to drop the .exe
> magic completely, deal with the ensuing pain, but eventually be done
> with it.

+1 from me.