Re: 'cp' utility bug when <dest-name>.exe file exist.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 14:20, Eric Blake wrote:

> Have you ever encountered a makefile that doesn't consistently use
> $(EXEEXT) everywhere? ÂToo many people just expect 'gcc -o foo ...' to
> produce foo, then 'strip foo' to work, without realizing that on cygwin,
> gcc created 'foo.exe' and strip _has_ to have .exe magic.

That's just one of the several scenarios which would greatly benefit
from a removal of .exe magic.

> Perhaps it does make sense to drop .exe suffixes; teaching gcc that -o
> foo means we really want a suffix-less file, and teaching users that
> they want to modify PATHEXE to include . if they are working from the
> windows side of things.

Teaching is good, but I think that this part could even be made
automatic, as I already demonstrated.

> But it won't be an overnight switch, and will
> come with its share of complaints on the list.

Sure thing.

> Meanwhile, we can't get away from .lnk magic, but that produces orders
> of magnitude less complaints on the list, so I'm not as worried about it.

The .lnk magic is a truly different beast, at least in the reasons
that made it necessary... so I think that should be let alone, at
least for now...