Re: 'cp' utility bug when <dest-name>.exe file exist.

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:50:34AM -0400, Stephen Morton wrote:
>We use a make environment that is part cygwin and part pure windows
>executables (long story). And it all works in linux too. I suspect
>it would break in the worst ugly ways if the .exe magic did not exist.

And, it is this kind of thing that the .exe magic is trying to help.  It
wasn't implemented because of Windows 95.  It is there because many UNIX
apps expect executables to have .exe extensions.

Changing to whole distribution to not use .exe is a huge undertaking for
little gain.

cgf