Re: mintty screen size problem

On 6/10/2010 8:06 PM, Steven Woody wrote:
On 11 June 2010 01:31, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 6/10/2010 1:21 PM, Steven Woody wrote:

On 11 June 2010 01:18, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

On 6/10/2010 1:09 PM, Steven Woody wrote:

On 10 June 2010 13:27, Andy Koppe<andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

The workaround is to invoke such programs through 'cygstart'.
Alternatively, the 'conin' wrapper mentioned in that thread should
work fairly well for Python.

Thanks. 'cygstart' works, but I have to type the full path of the program that I want to run as a parameter to 'cygstart'.

You can use 'which' to get the full path name, as long as the target is in the path.

Yes, I can. Just feel it's not easy to use (have to type many keys). On the other hand, cygstart always open another window to run the program, it's not so decent.

That's because the Windows program you're trying to use doesn't understand ptys and buffers its output as a result. If you want to work around this incompatibility, you need a console, not a tty. 'cygstart' will open a console for any program that needs one.

At this point, some inconvenience is necessary to get the output you expect
when you expect it.  If you're curious to learn more, you can check out the
email archives where this has been discussed allot.

Understand, thanks for the explanation. Just thinking for the moment that why not we cannot have a good terminal emulator not based on pty.

Here's the short answer - a goal of Cygwin is to provide Linux compatibility. ptys are a part of Linux. So ptys need to be a part of Cygwin.

There has been talk about how to trick Windows programs into thinking they
are running under a normal, Windows console (again, see the email archives
for more detail).  If someone comes up with a clever way to do this, then
Cygwin could support both concepts transparently.  We're not there yet.

Holliston, MA 01746