Re: 'cp' utility bug when <dest-name>.exe file exist.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 20:49, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:28:16PM +0100, Julio Costa wrote:

>>> Uh, no. ??That would BREAK makefiles.
>>>

>>Huh? I'm getting dense. My reading was:
>>
>>if gcc (or cygwin with his magic) did't apply the .exe extension, then
>> Â Â{strip,cp,mv,install,etc...} wouldn't need the .exe magic
>> Â Âperiod.
>>else
>> Â Âstrip&company _do_ need the .exe magic
>> Â Â# ...and possibily because of that, some Makefiles were needlessly
>>modified to do his own magic
>>end if
>>
>>So, what would break?
>
> Any makefile which didn't use the absolute latest version of gcc which
> has this critically important change to remove .exe.

How come? I thought that that kind of things was handled by an regular
autoconf, which tries to see what is the result of a gcc
compilation... (the a.out test)

> For the record, unless Corinna thinks it's a good idea (which I doubt):
> we're not going to change Cygwin to drop all of the .exe extensions from
> every single file in the distribution and I'd be violently opposed to
> the notion of changing gcc's default behavior after all of these years.

Well, here you have two unbeatable arguments:
1) violence
2) after all these years

That is quite enough to make your point.
After all, WJM, right?

I rest my case.