Re: AW: [bulk] - Re: Question on setup.exe

Please keep to the Cygwin list so that everyone can benefit from our
conversation. :-)

On 6/14/2010 9:51 AM, DEWI - N. Zacharias wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> thanks for your quick response.

Yes, if the computer has Internet access, it can download and install
new packages in addition to newer versions of the packages which may
already exist in the local package directory.  During the setup process,
select to install from the Internet while pointing to the existing local
package directory.  Setup will use the contents of the local package
directory when those contents are current and complete enough and will
update the local package directory from the Internet when they are not.

The local package directory is just a cache used to avoid repeatedly
downloading the same files.  By copying a local package directory to
another computer, you are effectively priming that computer's cache, but
as with any cache, its data can be invalidated and updated.

In the end, your questions could also be answered by trying to do what
you want to do and seeing what happens. :-)

-Jeremy