Re: Hello! I can't get to c:\Program Files using c:\Program/ Files\ any suggestions?

On 6/15/2010 11:56 AM, Matthew Thornton wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just recently upgraded to the newer version of cygwin and I am not
> unable to change directory into Program Files or My Documents using the
> forward slash.  This was working before the upgrade and I was wondering
> what I should check to see how it was disabled.  I have also tried using
> single quotation marks 'c:\Program Files' and this does not work
> either.  I really don't want to mount all of the programs that I want to
> use that are installed in Program Files, and I can anyway because there
> are only 30 mount points possible and I have more than 30 programs in
> file folders with spaces in them in Program Files. Is there any way
> around this problem?  Thanks!

If the path stated in the subject of this message is any indication, it
appears that you have your slashes swapped.  You're using forward slashes
for backslashes and backslashes for forward slashes.  What's more, you're
most likely trying to pass Windows-style paths to Cygwin programs, which
won't always work like you expect or at all in some cases.

Get familiar with the cygpath program and use it to convert your
Windows-style paths into Cygwin-style paths:

$ cygpath 'C:\Program Files'
/cygdrive/c/Program Files

If you do this, then you can add the paths to all your programs into PATH
so that you can more readily access them without using their full paths all
the time.

-Jeremy