Re: Using cron with network share

I did finally get it to work by using the UNC path. I had thought that it was always preferable to use a unix-style path, particularly since cygwin now warns about using W32-style paths.

Thanks very much for the help.

Re: Fw: Using cron with network share
	* From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at
cygwin dot com>
	* To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
	* Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:06:25 -0400
	* Subject: Re: Fw: Using cron with network share
 On 6/21/2010 2:08 PM, Oren Cheyette wrote:
** apologies about the bad formatting in
>the earlier reply **
>

>Well, I apologize for being dense, but I'm not getting it. I read the
>document you link to quite a few times before posting my query.

OK, I didn't know that.

I initially tried running the service under my own account (as
>suggested in the faq) with my username&  password entered at prompts
>from cron-config. No luck. Then I added the mount point to the system
>fstab and tried again. No luck. Then I changed cron to run as system
>rather than user, just to see. Still no luck. I also tried adding my
>username&  password to the registry using passwd -R.

How about skipping the drive altogether and directly mounting the UNC
path?  If that's not working for you, perhaps you want to try just
doing the simple "net use" syntax to try to flush out the specifics of
your problem.  Again, I'd recommend using UNC paths rather than dealing
with possible conflicts of network drives (using the same drive
designation as two different users or in two different contexts can result
in access problems for the second "use").

I seem to be missing some elementary step to mount network shares, but
>I haven't found it anywhere in a week's worth of googling. Any further
>hints would be appreciated.

I notice you're still running cygwin 1.7.3.  The current is 1.7.5.  I
seem to recall that there were some issues involving cron and 1.7.3.
So you might have better luck if you upgrade.

Holliston, MA 01746