Re: default text mode

Am 28.06.2010 13:35, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Jun 28 13:11, Jan LÃbbe wrote:
Hi,

after reading
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html#ov-new1.7-file

Cygwin creates the mount points for /, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib automatically from it's own position on the disk. They don't have to be specified in /etc/fstab.

I ask myself how I can force cygwin to mount /, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib in text mode. Depending on which role does cygwin automatically choose this decision?

Role? The automatism is to use binary mode unless /etc/fstab says something else. Other than that, why would you do that at all? If you need textmode for something, do it under some mount point of your own. There's no good reason to use textmode for the system directories, unless Cygwin is too fast on your machine.

Cygwin is not to fast, but if I run sed on files all Windows EOL are replaced with Unix EOL. That damages my version control. Of course I can run u2d on that files manually, but I don't want to remind that all time.

The files itself are mounted in text mode. They are under /cygdrive/d/Projekte/. But sed changes the EOL anyway. Because sed is saved in /usr/bin, which is mounted in binary mode, I thought this is the reason for sed doing so.

> % mount
> D:/Programme/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> D:/Programme/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> D:/Programme/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (text,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

Also one cannot change the way of mounting /, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib in fstab, as you can see:

% cat /etc/fstab
# For a description of the file format, see the Users Guide
# http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

none /cygdrive cygdrive text,posix=0,user 0 0

There is only the possibility to change the way of mounting /cygdrive.

Thanks for further advises.

Cheers,
Jan