R: [ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.6 due soon

--- Ven 25/6/10, Corinna Vinschen  ha scritto:

> A lot of changes and fixes have been
> made in Cygwin since 1.7.5 has
> been released, so we're looking forward to release Cygwin
> 1.7.6 soon.
>
> Please test the latest developer snapshots at http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> which should have "Release Candidate" quality.
>
> Please report bugs to the cygwin at cygwin dot com mailing
> list.
> Please follow the guidelines at http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> Be aware that we're mainly focusing on regressions from
> 1.7.5.
>
> What's new:
>
> - Add new mount options "dos" and "ihash" to allow
> overriding Cygwin
> ? default behaviour on broken filesystems not
> recognized by Cygwin.
>
> - A new mechanism is used to propagate pty handles safely
> to other
> ? processes, which does not require to use Cygserver.
>
> - Pass on coresize settings made with setrlimit(2).?
> This allows
> ? shells to disable creating stackdump files in child
> processes via
> ? `ulimit -c 0' in bash or `limit coredumpsize 0' in
> tcsh.
>
> - Locale categories contain all localization strings
> additionally as
> ? wide-char strings.? locale(1) prints these
> values just as on Linux.
> ? nl_langinfo(3) allows to fetch them.
>
> Fixes:
>
> - Fix problem where pseudo-relocs were getting applied
> twice, resulting
> ? in a crash.
>
> - Fix a crash when accessing /proc/registry*
>
> - Avoid that connect on a not yet established
> AF_LOCAL/AF_UNIX
> ? socket misinterprets the socket file as non-socket.
>
> - Fix stdin/out/err handle permissions when called from a
> non-Cygwin
> ? process.
>
> - Fix codeset problem in internal handling of process
> name.
>
> - Fix abbreviated month names for japanese and korean
> locale.
>
> - Fix calls to gettimeofday after call to settimeofday.
>
> - Fix REG_MULTI_SZ handling in /proc/registry*
>
> - Honor cygwin username even if it only differs by case
> from Windows
> ? username.
>
> - Fix potential memory leak when accessing // or //server
> directories.
>
> - Fix using a wrong handle when cehcking for files
> inaccessible to
> ? current user.
>
> - Fix erroneous handling of devices in path checking.
>
> - Fix potential crash in exec(2) if parent uses file
> locking.
>
> Other changes:
>
> - Change the way a process is made process group leader in
> case
> ? we're started from a non-Cygwin process.? This
> isn't foolproof
> ? and may need more work.

> [...]

Hi Corinna,
is something changed in the file open interface ?

On latest snaphots, but not on 1.7.5-1, I got unexpected
results on hdf5-1.8.5 build checks, when testing
if a file is already there.

Testing  -- Low-Level File I/O (file)
*** UNEXPECTED VALUE from H5Fcreate should be -1, but is 16777217 at line  149 in /pub/cygports/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.5-1/src/hdf5-1.8.5/test/tfile.c
*** UNEXPECTED VALUE from H5Fclose should be -1, but is 0 at line  158 in /pub/cygports/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.5-1/src/hdf5-1.8.5/test/tfile.c

Of course it is possible that hdf5 is wrongly assuming
something and it is not a snapshot fault.

Marco