1.7.6 snapshot: intermittent "CreateProcessW failed"

When running a couple of lengthy make-based builds in parallel, I
eventually get error messages such as this:

      3 [main] sh 4368 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessW failed, errno 2
/bin/sh: fork: No such file or directory

      5 [main] make 5736 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessW failed, errno 2
make[2]: vfork: No such file or directory

The errors aren't reproducible, i.e. when rerunning, one of the build
fails elsewhere with the same sort of error. Hence I'm unable to
provide a small testcase.

It doesn't fail if I run just one build at a time, and it fails more
quickly if I run more than two. I guess this suggests a
synchronisation issue.

This is on a 32-bit Windows XP. The issue didn't occur on 1.7.5 and
before. I went back through previous snapshots to try to narrow to
down the problem a little bit: 20100507 is fine, 20100518 is not.

Andy