Re: Regression in .exe extension handling

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 17:16 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> The problem is here - should install be open()ing "foo" (the script) or
> "foo.exe" (the executable) as the source file for copying into bar/foo?
>  Since it is never a good idea to have both an .exe and a script of the
> same name in the same directory, is this really a regression, or just
> bad behavior on mono's part?

This is a regression: it worked just fine with earlier 1.7.x releases.

> Remember, libtool was recently changed to avoid exactly this ambiguity.

This is different: neither the wrapper nor assembly are executed in the
builddir; they are just created there and installed into different
locations.

> Or should I be trying to patch coreutils (and/or someone patch cygwin1.dll)
> to try harder to open the script instead of the .exe when the suffix-less
> file conflicts with the .exe?

It's definitely a bug (or two) somewhere:

* "install foo" correctly installs 'foo' but the presence of foo.exe
apparently fools something to add the .exe.

* the .exe is being added when the file is clearly not a PE executable,
nor a link thereto.

Whether these bugs are coming from coreutils or cygwin, or both, I do
not know.

Yaakov