Re: Moving Cygwin directory safe?

On Jun 28 22:57, Michael Ludwig wrote:
> Christopher Faylor schrieb am 27.06.2010 um 15:01 (-0400):
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 03:37:26PM +0200, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>
> > >I copied C:\cygwin to T: instead of reinstalling. Here's a list of
> > >things I had to fix (or fixed preemptively):
> > >
> > >* fixed the above registry settings
> >
> > ...which was not necessary.
>
> Yes, you hinted at that it might not be, but I didn't know whether these
> keys are left-overs from by-gone versions, or derived from some other
> setting, or whatnot, so not knowing whether I could delete them I
> thought I might as well adapt them to reflect the new values,

Actually, while it's not necessary, it makes sense to keep the entries
under the "installations" key intact.  They are generated the first time
a Cygwin DLL is used.  They are useful to find out where Cygwin DLLs are
(or were) installed on your system.  Including the 64 bit hex value which
forms the names of the entries, it allows to diagnose problems which
potentially arise from parallel Cygwin installations.  If you move your
installation to another path, a new entry will be generated.

> To be complete on this issue and include one detail I omitted from my
> list: Explorer failed to copy some files (SSH keys), which belonged to
> the user NT-AUTORITÃT\SYSTEM and could not be read by my admin user, so
> I had to do the following:
>
>   subinacl /file C:\cygwin\etc\ssh* /setowner=michael
>   subinacl /file C:\cygwin\etc\ssh*key /grant=michael=R

That's a fine case for either using Cygwin tools to create the new
installation tree (cpio, for instance), or to use robocopy with the
/B option.

Corinna

Red Hat