Re: 1.7.6 snapshot: intermittent "CreateProcessW failed"

On Jun 29 10:48, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 09:30, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Jun 29 09:16, Andy Koppe wrote:
> >>
> >> Â Â Â 4 [main] sh 396 fork: child -1 - CreatProcessW failed for
> >> '\??\C:\bin\sh.exe', errno 2
> >
> > Looks like the path is missing a directory. ÂI assume you didn't
> > install Cygwin to C:\ but to C:\cygwin, right? ÂOr does the path
> > make sense when ignoring the NT prefix "\??\"?
>
> The path is correct.
>
> C:/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on / type ntfs (binary,auto)

Urgh.  I hope you know what you're doing...

However, I didn't immediately realize that "\??\C:\bin\sh.exe" is the
exact string used in the call to CreateProcessW.  Which is wrong, of course,
since \??\ is a native NT path.  That should be "\\?\" when calling a
Win32 wide char function.
I found two lines in the code which accidentally copied a native NT path
into the WCHAR process name storage, rather than the Win32 path.  I fixed
that in CVS, but since I couldn't reproduce the problem yet, it would be
helpful if you could test it.

> Unfortunately the top-level make just exits early before really doing
> anything if I run it through strace (see below). It starts doing
> actual work if I add '-f' to the strace arguments, but then of course
> strace no longer captures events in sub-makes, which is where the
> problem occurs.

Hmm.  Did you run make from a mintty?  Does it work if you start it
from a Windows console in notty mode?

Corinna

Red Hat