Re: Moving Cygwin directory safe?

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 01:39:07PM +0200, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen schrieb am 29.06.2010 um 10:25 (+0200):
>>On Jun 28 22:57, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>
>>Actually, while it's not necessary, it makes sense to keep the entries
>>under the "installations" key intact.  They are generated the first
>>time a Cygwin DLL is used.  They are useful to find out where Cygwin
>>DLLs are (or were) installed on your system.  Including the 64 bit hex
>>value which forms the names of the entries, it allows to diagnose
>>problems which potentially arise from parallel Cygwin installations.
>>If you move your installation to another path, a new entry will be
>>generated.
>
>Indeed - I now have two entries under the "Installations" key.  To
>please the Gods, I restored the first one to the original directory.
>Thanks!

Actually, the point I was trying to make was that you should never have
to use regedit to make Cygwin work correctly.  There is no reason to add
anything if your installation is working correctly.  It would have
worked correctly if you had left the registry alone but, since you
didn't, there was no reason to restore the first directory.

I didn't want the cygwin archives to have advice which suggested that
regedit was necessary to move the DLL.