Windows Server 2008 64-bit setup.exe/bash problem - Amazon Cloud

I am unable to install Cygwin on a Windows Datacenter 2008 server image running in the Amazon Web Services cloud.

The install process fails at the execution of the post install scripts with a bash segmentation fault and core dump. The scripts "complete" but do not actually do anything. Attempting to run them after the install produces the same result, script exit but no actions executed.

Running the commands in the script one at a time from a shell window works, but this is not acceptable, especially for running the ssh host configuration script !!

Things tried so far: running the setup script in compatibility modes, running the scripts after the install completes, running the scripts in bash or sh from the command line. Nothing makes any difference, the scripts fail to do the work required.

This seems to be the same as a problem reported already this month, with the same Subject line. However I am opening this new thread, as Cygwin is 100% required on this server in our environment in order to enable Oracle Grid Control 11g to accept agent data from this server.

This is a production level server running Oracle applications and I need urgent HELP solving this Cygwin install failure.