From: Derek Greer <dbgreer@gmail.com>
To: cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wed, June 30, 2010 11:27:34 AM
Subject: Cygwin file permission issues

I've run into a Cygwin permissions issue that I haven't been able to
resolve by looking through past discussions.

When a file file or folder is created by a user under cygwin, it isn't
adhering to the permissions inherited by parent folders.  Based on the
parent folder, any folders and files created should have full access
by all users, but they aren't writable.  When I go to the Security tab
under Windows I get:

"The permissions on [file/folder name] are incorrectly ordered, which
may cause some entries to be ineffective.  Press OK to continue and
sort the permissions correctly, or Cancel to reset the permissions."

Based on the description of this error message, the result of
selecting "OK" or "Cancel" seem to indicate something is going to
change (sorting, or reseting), so I'm not sure what the actual
permissions are from the Windows point of view.  When I select OK, I
see a bunch of entries that shouldn't be there based on the
permissions of the parent folder.  When I select Cancel, it shows that
'Everyone' has full control.

I've messed around with setting CYGWIN to ntsec an nontsec to see if
that affects anything, but neither of these settings seem to affect
the way the permissions are assigned for new files.  How do I fix
this?