Re: Cygwin file permission issues

On 6/30/2010 11:27 AM, Derek Greer wrote:
> I've run into a Cygwin permissions issue that I haven't been able to
> resolve by looking through past discussions.
>
> When a file file or folder is created by a user under cygwin, it isn't
> adhering to the permissions inherited by parent folders.  Based on the
> parent folder, any folders and files created should have full access
> by all users, but they aren't writable.  When I go to the Security tab
> under Windows I get:
>
> "The permissions on [file/folder name] are incorrectly ordered, which
> may cause some entries to be ineffective.  Press OK to continue and
> sort the permissions correctly, or Cancel to reset the permissions."

Read the following sections of the User's guide:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

The short and sweet is that this is the intended behavior of Cygwin, but
you can work around it by ensuring that the noacl option is set on the
mountpoint under which the target file resides.  You may need/want to
create a new mountpoint just for the files of interest.

-Jeremy