Re: Shared libraries in Cygwin

On 6/30/2010 1:00 PM, Refr Bruhl wrote:
I guess the question is why can't libtool be fixed? If there are undefined
symbols for cygwin I am sure there are undefined symbols for other
platforms.

You don't understand the difference between DLLs on Windows and shared objects on Unix/Linix (and related) platforms. The behavior of these "shared libraries" is defined and managed by the loader of the O/S they run on. For Windows, that means that there are no unresolved symbols at link time. This is managed by linking with libraries full of thunks to other DLLs which will be loaded at runtime. libtool understands all this. There's nothing broken there.

If this doesn't make sense to you, I would recommend that you take a look
at the details of how DLLs work on Windows and then, if needed, also
research what libtool does on Windows.  That should give you a better
understanding of things in general and hopefully specifically for the
issues you noted when you were trying to build apache2.

Holliston, MA 01746