Re: Windows GUI programs (e.g. notepad) start but are invisible after ssh login

On 6/30/2010 4:53 PM, Koszalek Opalek wrote:
This is what I do:

1) Start sshd
        cygrunsrv -S sshd

2) Login over ssh
        ssh ko@localhost

3) Start a Windows application (notepad, calc, whatever).

The application starts (it is listed in the Process
Explorer), however its windows are invisible.

How do I change this behavior and display the application?
I (obviously) do not want to export the window to another
$DISPLAY in the X11 fashion. I just want the app to be
visible on the machine where sshd is running.

The short answer? You can't or at least you shouldn't. The longer answer is MS doesn't want to allow this functionality and has disabled the ability to access a desktop from a service as of Vista. If you're running XP, you may find that you can get this to work by using the '-i' flag on 'cygrunsrv' when you install the 'sshd' service. Or you can call up the adminstrator tools, find the sshd service, and enable desktop interaction there. This should work, though there have been some reports of difficulty on this list even for XP. It's not clear why but given the fact that MS is removing support for this anyway, the best way to get a reliable way to do this is to lobby MS for some support. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746