Re: Opening .n extensions

I guess I would also mention that you could learn to use the cygwin
tools to figure this out on your own later :)
The above "file not found" after the story could even be due to the
lack of phone related headers in the request if this mumbo jumbo is
designed to lock you to certain devices. If you got some utilities to
examine binary contents and then get files with spoofed headers you
could probably eventually figure it out.

Suffixes are sometimes modified to prevent malicious code from
executing automaticlly or to fool mail software that otherwise does
something clever when you just want to send a file through without
modification.
The strategy here is sometimes to look at what is in the file with a
binary dump utility and then go from there- this is probably what the
poster above did. Also dumping the ASCII strings can help too etc etc.

Software that creates artificial barriers is always of interest and I use these
tools sometimes to open suspicious mail just to see what is in it.

AFAIK there is no general tool set  ( or mind set LOL) in windoze that
lets you approach this other than something like cygwin so you did at
least come to a good place.

On 8/8/10, Nicholas Sherlock <n.sherlock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/08/2010 7:23 p.m., Luetta wrote:
>> [..] When my phone said the files were too
>> large and was unable to open the files I downloaded them to my computer to
>> open.  Windows said it needed to go to the internet to obtain the program
>> open the file.  I went onto the web and no programs, [save expensive file
>> extension repair] were to be found.  When I looked up the extension, every
>> listing had the '.n' extension as yours.  I have attached one of the files
>> so
>> you can see it.  It has been checked for viruses.  I apologize again for
>> my
>> ignorance.  I did not know who or where else to ask.  Thank you in advance
>> for
>> your Job like patience and understanding.
>
> That file does not contain an image, it is only 168 characters long
> which is far too small to have a useful photo in it. It seems to contain
> a pointer to a website where you can download the image from, but I
> don't know the format of the .n file so I'm unsure of the correct link.
> It will probably be a format specific to that particular cell provider
> and understood only by their phone software. It looks like the image is
> supposed to be visible at:
>
> http://mmsc.gci.csky.us:6672/m1?4q4rdk4Z_/w4~u9Z4~~~4kc3KHRukT
>
> But the server just returns a "file not found" error. Either I didn't
> figure out the link format correctly, or the image has now expired from
> the server.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock
>

> --

marchywka@gmail.com
note new address 2009-12-16:
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: hotmail is censoring incoming mail using random criteria beyond
my control and often hangs my browser
but all my subscriptions are here..., try also marchywka@yahoo.com