[ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin

I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
for at least a month.

Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin 1.7.x,
I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, please
use the automated form at:
If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message.  Send email to the address specified
there.  It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.