Re: how to enable the very convenient copy/paste editing method in Cgywin?

On 09/21/2010 07:37 PM, bsmile wrote:
> Jeremy Bopp-3 wrote:

>>> I am now using mintty. Although it enables copy/paste as the way in
>> linux, it
>>> does not seem to support -X option of ssh. I want to run gnuplot on a
>> remote
>>> computer and send the graph back to the local computer for me to see,
>> and I
>>> use ssh -X to set up the connection. But gnuplot fails and the following
>>> information is sent back
>>>
>>> gnuplot: unable to open display ''
>>> gnuplot: X11 aborted.
>>>
>>> This does not seem to go with cygwin. Any idea towards this?
>>
>> You need to install and run the X server.  Mintty is just a terminal.
>> Install the xorg-server package.  I think the program you'll need to
>> arrange to run is XWin32 or maybe XWin.
>>
>> -Jeremy
>
> Isn't cygwin the graphic environment? If mintty invokes cygwin, I would
> expect it to have full feature of support such an environment. But I will
> try installing xwin32 to see how it works out,

Please refer to the Cygwin homepage and read the sections about what
Cygwin is and is *not*:

http://cygwin.com/

Cygwin is a DLL that provides a Linux-like layer on top of the Windows
APIs.  Programs that expect a Linux-like environment are compiled to use
that DLL so that they don't have to be rewritten to use the Windows
APIs.  Such programs are often generally called Cygwin programs.

I'll probably get a bit of correction about this, but Mintty itself is a
hybrid of Cygwin and native Windows.  It draws itself using Windows
graphics APIs, and speaks to Cygwin programs using the Cygwin DLL.  In
addition, Mintty is only a terminal.  Basically, it draws your command
prompt.  It does not know how to speak to remote machines using the SSH
protocol, and it cannot draw the graphical interfaces for X client
applications such as gnuplot.

To do what you want to do, you start Mintty to get your local bash
prompt.  Then, if you haven't already done so, you start the X server.
Finally, run ssh with the -X option in order to start gnuplot on a
remote machine and have its interface drawn by your X server running on
your Windows desktop.

It's also possible to create a shortcut that will directly run ssh -X
without the need to start Mintty.  That way, you can have something that
is pretty much point and click.  You'll still need to make sure that
your X server is running first however, and you may still need to handle
entering a password for the remote machine.  There are various solutions
for this, but you should make sure that you can get the most basic,
manual case going first.

-Jeremy