Re: git stopped working with 1.7.1

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 05:56:04PM -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>On 9/27/2010 3:59 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>And, when I tried this, it pointed to an actual problem in git rather
>>than a problem in Cygwin so that limits what is meant by "developer".
>>
>>Isn't git normally used for source control management by programmers?
>>If this is such a bad problem why isn't one of those programmers
>>looking into it and proposing a fix?  That's one of the reasons for
>>free software - you can fix the problems yourself.
>>
>>And, before someone inevitably opines that I'm just being mean, I have
>>to point out that this really is how many open source projects work.
>>People who are not maintainers actually do propose fixes.
>>
>I agree.
>
>Also, I admit that I am fishing for a developer that might be
>interested in fixing this.  I also wanted to make the connection
>between the threads so that if someone did want to take a look at this,
>they would know how to reproduce it.
>
>Christopher, I did have a question on the old thread that went
>un-answered.  I was wondering exactly what process you used to
>determine that it was git that was having a stack issue.  It would be
>helpful as a starting point for a developer to try and fix this issue.
>I would be interested in repeating your experiment myself if I had that
>information.

At this point, I don't remember how I came to the conclusion.  If you
think you need special insight from me to debug this problem then you're
not approaching the problem correctly.  There is no reason to wait weeks
for me to tell you how to "repeat my experiment" when you could just
start debugging the problem yourself.

cgf